Baron Empain Palace
About the Monument: palace was built for the Belgian millionaire baron empire. It was built of a mixed architectural style between Indian, Italian, and French by the French architect alexander Marseille. There are many
rumors about the palace being hosted by ghosts. The baron empire used to live with his younger sister in the palace. The palace was one of a kind in its unique architectural style. The palace consists if a huge entrance with a large number
of staircases surrounded with snake status on the stair railing indicating protection against outsiders. The palace floor plan is a small square shape. Consisting of 3 typical floors which include 7 separate rooms with extraordinary interior
beauty. Baron empire died in 1928 and no one lived in the palace since then, but only famous stories about ghosts. The palace now undergoes major renovation performed by the Arab contractors, aiming at reusing the palace as a museum for
its interior and exterior artistic content.
Baron Palace Shot #2
Omar Tosson Palace
About the Monument: The palace was built in the 19th century for Omar Toson Pasha; one of the nobles by then who was born in Alexandria in 1872 and married one of the daughters of Hassan Pasha son of Khedive Ismail. He
received his education in Europe and then returned to live and build three palaces located in Alexandria, Shubra and Zamalek. The Toson Palace investigated is located in Shubra as shown in figure 2, and it was used to include valuable
oil paintings and silver statues which were moved out once the place turned into Shubra high school at that time. The Palace is surrounded by a huge fence which is centered with an iron gate as a main entry point for the palace garden
as shown in figure 3. The palace main façade is eastern south oriented with three main centered wooden doorways. The first floor is reachable with three staircases: The main staircase is on the left of the main palace entry hall; the main
staircase is severely deteriorated covered with a damaged skylight. Regarding the palace flooring; each of the palace levels included rooms which had the same flooring level and mostly covered with marble while others covered with wooden
tiles. The palace is considered one of the most remarkable English constructions at that time, whether for the general palace planning or the different ornamental elements inside the palace
About the Monument: Located in AlAroussy Street (Souq ElZalat now), Bab ElSherya, Cairo, Egypt. Built by ElSheikh Ahmed-Al Arian in the early 19th century. It includes 16 marble columns to carry the main structure distributed
among three main zone blocks each with 5 columns beside the tower. The main entry hall size is rectangular of 10*33m2. The architectural style follows the typical mosque of the Mamluk period in Egypt. The tower consists of two pentagonal
levels based on a square shaped base. Also, a colorful Turkish ceramic finish covers parts of the mosque praying destination attached to the wall area which is 4.00 m wide and centered between two circular columns. The external windows
are covered with Mashrabia and colored glass panels. The mosque includes the tombs of ElSheikh Al-Arian and his 4 sons.
Location: Fatimid Cairo
Mosque Roof Shot #2
El Golshany’s Tekkeya
About the Monument: El Golshay’s Tekkeya is a complex built in the early 16th century. Sheikh Ibrahim El Golshany meant for it to serve the suffist, host their practices, prayers, meditation, and dhikr. The complex is
made of 12 kholwa (private rooms), a kitchen, a prayer hall, and a mausoleum. The main central building is the mausoleum is nearly 15 meters height topped by a dome. The main façade is clad with ceramic tiles. What remains today is the
mausoleum and four of the rooms in a deteriorated state.
Location: Fatimid Cairo
Basilica in Minya
About the Monument: The Early Basilica Church ruins in El-Ashmonein Archaeological Site located in Minia, Upper Egypt is situated with other historical ruins of Thoth temple, and Roman temples. That location was the center
of an ancient town, in which the basilica building was built on previous structures and after the church collapse, the remains partly were used as a source of limestone blocks. Current excavation efforts provided the fact that the church
foundations were constructed using decorative Greek blocks and elements taken from Hellenistic buildings. The current church ruins include free-standing stone columns which are laser scanned by our team to provide digital documentation
of this Archaeological Site.
Pharaonic Obelisk in the GEM
Cairo University Clock Building
About the MonumentThe clock represents a significant landmark for the Cairo University. The clock is connected to the Egyptian radio since it was established in 1937. The clock tower rings with bells indicating the hour
like a church bell. The tower is 40-meter height attached to a beneath covered parking area. It includes five copper bells; four small bells and a single large one. The tower’s engineers who built it are the same ones who built London’s
Big Ben. The Clock Tower is laser scanned. And modeled by the Lab team.
CU Clock Shot #2
Al Alfy Square Building
Currently the whole surrounding area of Al-Alfy building located in Al-Alfy street in downtown Cairo, had been undergoing a severe change aimed at renovating the historical downtown area (Khedivial Cairo). Down town Cairo was constructed
early in the 19th century by Khedive Ismail (ruler of Egypt 1863-1879) as a new residential area for Egyptian’s high class nobles. Until today the whole area appears like an European city. Al-Alfy and Oraby streets were turned into
pedestrian roads, where mini- cafes are located on the sidewalks and historical buildings are repainted. Al-Alfy building is currently used for regular residential uses and there are considerations to put effort for effective preservation
of this historical building that includes laser scanning and digital documentation of the asset.
Street View 2